Now before you read any farther keep in mind what I do works for ME. And just because it work for me doesn't mean the same will work for you. I am not a professional nail tech, I'm an actor and writer.
Now I've seem other bloggers do post like this. And most of them contain, oils, sticks, creams, and what I can only assume is something expensive created from the breast milk of Aphrodite. Mine contains none of those. When it comes to nail care I'm kind of a hippie. But I've been doing my thing for years now and it works like a charm. Let's begin. I'm going to do this in list form. I don't do enough lists.
- I only buffer my nails for one of two reasons. If I have a break and need to repair it with a tea bag. Or if I stumbled upon a polish that I didn't know stained and can't get rid of the stain. I don't find it prolongs the life of my polish.
- I rarely cut my nails. Generally I file them a tad using an emery board every time I do my nails. About once every 7-10 days I use a stainless steel file and file a bit more than usual. Then I soften the look with the emery board. NOTE: Some people say not to use a stainless steel file because it makes you more prone to breakage and peeling. I don't have that problem. Never have.
- I have NEVER used cuticle remover. 90% of the time I don't think I need it.
- Vaseline or any other brand of petroleum jelly. Now the palms of my hands do tend to get quite dry(mainly in the winter). And my fingers get dry too (but not nearly as dry). So I use Vaseline. I use it after I shower. So once a day. That's pretty much all I do to keep my hands from not drying out. No special creams.
- Base coat, base coat, base coat. I always wear it. I use Sephora by OPI Strengthener. Which is also a base coat. It's the only base coat I use.
Questions? Comments? Take That?
Ps. There should be a bloggers n00dz week. Where everyone posts their n00dz (nails). :P
NOTE: All these photos were taken soon after I removed my nail polish. My nails are as naked as they get. This is what they look like most of the time(without polish). As you can see they are a tad stained but really not that bad considering I almost always wear polish.
Nothing fancy to see here folks! Just my Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Top Coat (I use this 90% of the time). My Sephora by OPI Strengthener. My Revlon stainless steel nail file and my 4-way buffer (File, buff, smooth, shine). And my Seche Vite top coat (which I use maybe 10% of the time).