Sunday 12 October 2014

A different kind of Halloween manicure...0_o

WARNING: DO NOT TRY THIS TECHNIQUE AT HOME! YOU KNOW HOW I LIKE PUSHING WHAT I CAN DO TO NAILS! THIS IS NO EXCEPTION! THIS IS NOT AN EVERYDAY MANICURE KIND OF THING. (Never thought I would have to post that at the beginning of a post)

This is my entry for Nail Polish Canada's Halloween Nail Art contest! It's actually a manicure I wanted to do a while ago, but I never really had the perfect opportunity to. UNTIL NOW! So my manicure is kind of an homage to to gory slasher films. Now I have done weird nails before, but I REALLY wanted to up the weird(and gore) and make them as nasty as possible and push the limits of art.

First I started with a base of Essence Sweet as Candy, then I did the bloody "HEL-" and the bloody hand print with acrylic paint. Everything else you see is done with real blood. My blood(aka. The art supply that keeps on giving).

No Topcoat

Top Coat

Original Nails. "Needs more blood"

My mother was a nurse so I actually asked her if she had something I could use to get blood and not give myself an infection. She then showed me how to use the needle of her blood sugar monitor. She also had some needles for syringes(everything was already sterilized). When the time came I chickened out and couldn't use the machine. I decided to go with the syringe needle. First I wiped all my fingers down with alcohol, then came the hard part. Stabbing myself. After many failed attempts and gingerly poking my finger I gave up. Luckily for me as I was putting the cover back on the needle I missed and stabbed myself in the thumb :D The minute I saw blood my first thought was "MUST USE THIS FOR ART!". When that stopped bleeding I looked at the mani and I thought it needed more blood. So I sucked it up, and I took my middle finger and forcefully tapped the needle. Success! Originally I was going to use a nail art brush, but it turns out blood is a bit too thin to work with. So I ended up letting the blood roll down my fingers a bit and using the fingers on my other to apply it. Another thing that came as a surprise was how hard it was to get blood out of my cuticles. When I was done I added an older topcoat that was almost done and sealed it all in. And I actually wore it for a few hours, but I could smell that metallic-y smell that blood has.

WARNING BLOODY HANDS AHEAD
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

 Safety First!
 Ow.
 I took finger painting, and I ran with it.

I think I delivered on the gross factor. What do you think? I already know this will make some people uneasy, but that's kind of why I love art. You can literately use anything.

To see and vote for other amazing manicures, head over here!

11 comments:

  1. Now *that* is dedication... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing I can think about it how much your fingers probably stung when polish remover/acetone got on them!! What a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha actually it was LITERALLY a few pin pricks. After about 5 minutes apart from the tiny marks they left I would have never known they had been poked :P Didn't hurt at all when I took it off :P

      Delete
  3. I love it! What an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One can truly talk about bloody nails here - it also could be a crime-scene ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And here I wondered about the warning notice at the beginning of the post. I mean, we have seen "bloody" nails a couple of times... but I think you're the first one to actually use blood. It does look different. I think I like it better without topcoat btw :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made an audible gasp when I read this was real blood. Your nails are now the conversation piece of everyone in my lab, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! This is a dream of mine I didn't know I wanted until now :P

      Delete
  7. you are the coolest person I know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! what you do for the sake of nail art!
    that little hand print looks awesome

    ReplyDelete

We love comments as much as we like bacon! And we LOVE bacon! But if you want us to check you out please go to the contact us tab up top and feel free to send us a message. Please don't SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...